Extensively used for culinary purposes, turmeric is the major ingredient in Indian dishes. Apart from making the food delicious, this spice is housed with exceptional nutrients that are backed by scientific studies.
This tropical plant belongs to Zingiberaceae and is native to India.
Below mentioned are health benefits of turmeric that are proven by studies.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
This home available spice contains antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-fungal properties. Rich in fiber, turmeric is also packed with vitamin E, vitamin E, vitamin K, calcium, copper, zinc and potassium.
- Prevents Cancer – Studies state that ingesting turmeric can treat prostate cancer, colon cancer and breast cancer. It thwarts cancer causing tumor.
- Avoid Depression – Curcumin is the vital component in this yellow spice that exhibits anti-depressant activity.
- Treats Arthritis – With its anti-inflammatory abilities, turmeric powder can effectively treat rheumatoid arthritis, general joint pains and osteoarthritis.
- Boost Your Immune System – Lipopolysaccharide housed in turmeric exhibits antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral abilities that help to strengthen your immune system.
- Fasten Healing Process– Antiseptic and antiviral properties residing in this spice help to heal wounds and injuries.
- Promotes Healthy Functioning of Heart– Ingesting turmeric through diet will help to breakdown cholesterol and enhance healthy functioning of your heart.
- Helps to Maintain Ideal Weight– Breaking down bile is the main component for ideal weight. Its unique flavor makes the food delicious and you’ll feel fuller for longer time.
- Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease – Buildup of proteins in the brain is one of the many causes of Alzheimer’s disease. Ingesting turmeric powder will help to improve blood flow and prevent this disease.
- Protects Your Liver – This spice helps to detoxify your liver and enhance its functioning.
7 DIY Recipes of Turmeric to Reap its Health Benefits
#1 Turmeric Tea
- Hot water – 1 cup
- Black pepper
- Fresh grated turmeric – ½ tsp
- Raw honey
- Lemon juice – few drops
Heat the water in a bowl until it boils. Drop turmeric to the boiling water and keep the stove on simmer for 5 minutes.
Strain the tea and add remaining ingredients to the cup. Steep for few minutes and then serve it hot.
#2 Turmeric Juice
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – ½
- Sea salt
Juice the lemon by adding required amount of water. Add turmeric and sea salt in required amount.
#3 Turmeric Soup
- Fresh grated turmeric
- Organic bone broth – 4 cups
Add the listed ingredients to boiling water and keep on simmer for few minutes. Strain the chunks, add black pepper for taste.
#4 Turmeric Scramble
Sprinkle turmeric powder on your traditional eggs and have it.
#5 Turmeric Smoothie
Add 1-2 tsp of turmeric powder to your favorite smoothie.
#6 Golden Milk
Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk and stir gently.
Drink this yellow milk to keep health ailments at bay.
You can add clove, honey and ginger to the milk.
#7 Turmeric Kefir
- Filtered water – 1 gallon
- Organic sugar – 1 cup
- Water kefir grains – ½ cup
- Fresh ginger- 1 cup
- Turmeric root – 1/3 cup
Boil peeled turmeric and ginger in a bowl. Cook these two ingredients for an hour. Cool down after that and then strain turmeric chunks.
Add sugar and water kefir to this water and mix thoroughly.
Consume it after 3-5 days. (keep in refrigerator)